State Farm Territorial Cup Series Food Fight
A key component to the State Farm Territorial Cup Series, the Food Fight is essentially a year-long food drive where the Phoenix and Tucson communities compete head-to-head to see who can collect more food for local food banks on behalf of their respective universities.
With the help of ASU4Food and UA4Food, and now, in conjunction with the Salvation Army, the Food Fight collects much needed food and money that directly benefits the local Tucson and Phoenix communities. One hundred percent (100%) of all donations go directly to our three beneficiaries, Community Food Bank, St. Mary's Food Bank Alliance, and United Food Bank.
"The aim of our partnership is to not only spotlight athletic programs offered by each university, but also to help alleviate hunger in the community and address the educational funding challenges each university is currently experiencing," said State Farm Vice President-Agency Laura Kunewa. "State Farm is proud to be a part of such a storied past of two nationally renowned universities."
There will be multiple opportunities to give throughout the 2011-2012 school year:
- "Make Hunger Disappear" | Saturday, October 29, 2011 | ASU Homecoming Parade and Block Party (Tempe)
- ASU vs. UA Territorial Cup Series Football Game | Saturday, November 19, 2011 | Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe)
- UA vs. Louisiana-Lafayette Football Game | Saturday, November 26, 2011 | Arizona Stadium (Tucson)
- UA vs. ASU Territorial Cup Series Men's Basketball Game | Saturday, December 31, 2011 | McKale Center (Tucson)
- ASU vs. UA Territorial Cup Series Men's Basketball Game | Sunday, March 4, 2012 | Wells Fargo Arena (Tempe)
- "Fill the Flash" | Spring 2012 - TBD | Arizona State University and University of Arizona
Please continue to assist us in helping to feed Arizona's hungry, and help your school and community win the Food Fight against their cross-state rival.
During the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 the Phoenix and Tucson communities helped the Food Fight raise over 31,113 meals for Arizona's hungry. When talking about food drives, the real winners are those who give and those who receive. Officially, however, the ASU community has beaten the UA community in the Food Fight each of the last two years. Last year, the ASU community helped to raise over 8,811 meals, whereas the UA community helped to raise over 6,762 meals.
Every Little Bit Helps
It does not take much to make a difference in someone's life. One dollar can be used to distribute $10 worth of food. Even one can of food helps feed someone who is hungry. If every fan who attends this year's Territorial Cup Series Football game and the two Territorial Cup Series Men's Basketball games brings a single can of food to donate, the Food Fight would generate over 99,000 cans of food from these three games alone.